We recently did two commercial painting projects and both involved repair and painting of columns. One job was in Council Bluffs Iowa and the other was in Bellevue Nebraska. The first one in Council Bluffs had columns that were not too bad. Peeling paint and a bit gouged up. These we sanded down and we used a couple coats of glazing putty on them.
The putty is a two component product. You have to move fairly fast. On the upside it sands out easily. We then prime it out and paint it.
The second project had columns in much worse shape. For these we used a commercial filler product because of the depth of the repair. Then we finished it off with the glazing putty.
When doing this type of repair work on columns it is very important to sand thoroughly and correctly. The curved nature will highlight poor sanding. We always do a couple coats of a quality primer as well.
Repairs of this type are time consuming but when done right the results are great.
We were just doing a commercial exterior. On the first day all went according to plan. Second day everything went wrong. It was very windy. There was a constant wind of about 17 mph with occasional gusts of 30mph. These are not the type of conditions you want to spray in. We have sprayed in very windy conditions before. It is doable if you know how to compensate.
This job was a time crunch so we went for it. The wind made it feel much colder then it was. Often the hardest part in windy conditions is battling the masking you may need to do. The paper and plastic was giving us fits as they blew every which way but we didn’t give up. The masking we did took much longer then it should have and then we had to go back and redo much of it after it blew back down. Ladders blew over too but I was convinced I could make it work. There are tricks to spraying in the wind and I was determined to use all of them.
When we finally got enough masked off to get some spraying going, we loaded up the pump and got ready to roll. As fate would have it. One pull of the trigger on the gun and the needle in the gun appeared to go out. That means the paint keeps coming out even after releasing the trigger. We tried everything we could while out in the field. Cleaning it etc.
We decided it just wasn’t meant to be on that day and went back to the shop to fix the gun.
Exterior commercial work is sometimes a challenge because of the traffic flow (customers) and not necessarily the task at hand.
We were recently asked to repaint the exterior of a chain of several grocery stores. The toughest part was the height of what needed to be painted. There was a lot of traffic going in and out as well. It was high work but we planned on using a man lift so the height was not an issue but the constant flow of people was a concern.
Often when a business has customers that are in proximity to the work, extra measures are needed to protect them and us. It is sometimes amazing that we can put barriers up and people will step right over them.
Vehicle traffic is also something we take into consideration. Unfortunately the wind and October/November temperatures were a concern. Each job was only a couple days work but the locations were all over town. We were in Omaha, Plattsmouth, Lincoln and Grand Island.
The reason we were painting The various sections of these stores was because they were rebranding the dining part of the grocery store from Market Grill to Waldburgers.
I was a fan of the Market Grill. They had great hamburgers. I look forward to trying the Waldburger addition. I have heard good things about the restaurant.